Every well maintained landscape requires an organized and efficient irrigation system to consistently provide water throughout the year. A poorly designed sprinkler system can water your plants unevenly, waste water on plants that don’t need it, and can be a pain to maintain. Every sprinkler system must be carefully monitored and maintained throughout the year, or else your system could break down or stop working when your plants and your lawn need water the most. At Creative Touch, we provide our customers with an unparalleled Portland sprinkler service. We have come up with a few tips to help you maintain your sprinkler system.
Portland Sprinkler Maintenance Tips
- One of the most important things you can do to maintain your sprinkler system is to prepare it for winter by turning off the main water valve, draining any water out of the system and by turning the timer off or to “rain” mode. Any water that is in the system when the temperatures drop can freeze and cause extensive damage.
- Flush out your system after the winter. If you have a drip system, open the drip tubes and turn on the water. With sprinklers, take off the sprinkler nozzles and run water through the system. This will flush out any debris that managed to get into your system during the winter.
- If you run your sprinkler system and you notice some nozzles aren’t working as well as they should be, they could be clogged or leaking. Clean or replace any nozzles that are leaking or clogged with debris.
- If you notice that your sprinkler nozzles are no longer spraying effectively or that your lawn has dry spots, it could mean that your nozzle is damaged enough to alter its spray patterns. Your best bet in this situation is to replace the nozzles with new ones.
- If you can’t locate a leak, you have to check the pipes for cracks or fractures. Roots can grow around and constrict pipes over time. If there is a crack, you will have to dig up the pipe and insert a slip coupling to replace the piece of pipe and fix the problem.
- If you see that your sprinklers are spraying water on sidewalks or concrete, adjust them. Watering concrete is a waste of water and money.
A sprinkler system can be very complex, especially when you are irrigating large landscapes. Oftentimes it is something that is better left to the professionals. At Creative Touch, we’ve been performing Portland sprinkler repairs and sprinkler maintenance for 20 years. We have the skills to set up and maintain a fully functional and efficient irrigation system in your lawn or garden.