You don’t get a perfect looking lawn just by sitting around and watching your grass grow. It takes a lot of time, hard work and persistence to make your lawn look great, but the envious looks from your neighbors and the pride you feel makes it all worthwhile. Not to mention a healthy looking lawn can actually raise the property value of your home. At Creative Touch Landscaping, we specialize in providing excellent Portland landscaping services. Our Portland landscape design experts have compiled some helpful tips for maintaining your lawn.
Portland Landscaping Tips
- Determine what kind of grass your lawn is comprised of. Different grasses thrive at different heights and conditions. Avoid trimming your grass too short, no matter what type it is.
- If your grass is growing fast during the rainy season, it is a good idea to mow about once every week. It is generally a good idea to leave the clippings on your lawn, but if you go overboard, all of that mulch can suffocate your lawn.
- Examine your lawn for any weeds. Remove them by hand, with a special tool or with an effective herbicide.
- Water your lawn thoroughly about once a week. If you water your lawn frequently for short periods of time, it can promote weed growth and your grass will develop shorter root systems. One deep watering a week will promote root growth and result in healthier grass.
- Water your lawn in the morning or evening when it is cooler. If you water during the middle of the day, a lot of the moisture that would nourish your lawn ends up being lost to evaporation.
- Fertilizing your lawn is a great way to keep it healthy throughout the year. There are three main ingredients to look for in lawn fertilizers: Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium.
- Nitrogen promotes green growth, phosphorous strengthens root systems and potassium protects grass from drought, disease and cold temperatures. Nitrogen fertilizers are often used in the spring while potassium and phosphorous fertilizers are primarily used in the fall.
These are just a few of the most basic lawn maintenance tips. There are many other things you can do to take care of your lawn. Our team of professional Portland landscapers have more than 20 years of experience with lawn care, and can make your lawn the envy of your neighborhood.