For many people, gardening is more than just a hobby; it is a way of life. Technically, gardening is the practice of growing and cultivating plants, but for gardeners it often means so much more than that. Gardening is a peaceful undertaking, and when you are gardening you get to build and sustain your own personal ecosystem that depends on you for survival. You can plant vegetables, flowers and herbs in your own unique design. At Creative Touch, our professional Portland landscapers are very experienced gardeners. We have compiled this short list of tips to help you achieve better results in your gardening endeavors.
Portland Gardening Tips
Here are some useful tips that can help you avoid some of the most common mistakes that even experienced gardeners have been known to make.
- It’s always a good idea to come up with a plan before you start building your garden. Figure out what kind of plants and soil you want in your garden and how you are going to arrange them.
- Never overwater your plants. Overwatering a plant will kill it faster than not giving it water at all. Stick your finger about an inch into the soil around the base of your plants to test how saturated the soil is. Water-soaked soil is not good for plant roots, so if you see that the soil is still moist, it is best not to water that plant.
- Different plants have different water requirements. Know how much water all of your different plants need to stay healthy. You can easily find this kind of information with a quick internet search.
- If you are planting new plants in your garden, be careful not to plant them too deep in the soil. Plant roots can suffocate if they are buried deep enough.
- Avoid using too much fertilizer. Too much fertilizer can upset the pH balance of your soil over time. If you are intent on using fertilizers, look for organic, slow-releasing types that won’t deplete your soil.
- Check when to prune your flowers and shrubs. Many plants have different blooming seasons, but the general rule of thumb is that the best time to prune is right after the flowers wilt.
- If you have a pest problem in your garden it is important that you accurately identify the pest. Once you have identified it, you can find a product that is specifically designed to eliminate that particular pest.
If you avoid these common mistakes, you can enjoy a more successful gardening experience. Or if gardening isn’t your thing, you can let our Portland landscaping professionals at Creative Touch handle everything for you all year-round.